| side dishes
| A P P E T I Z E R S
| too good to leave out
< s i d e d i s h e s
little links in oriental sauce
The contributor is a Texan.
- 1 cup cooked blackeyed peas (Canned is fine, provided you drain.)
- 1 cup sweet corn (Brown in 2 tsp oil in a very hot pan.)
- 2 large tomatoes or a handful of grape tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup diced red, white, or yellow onion
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 to 2 tsp of cumin
- Salt to taste. (Be aware, canned beans are often heavily salted.)
- 1 glug of olive oil
- Other additions possible. See below.
- Drain canned beans. Place in medium size bowl.
- Brown corn in 2 tsp vegetable oil in a very hot pan. Add to the beans.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Serve with tortilla chips, or in warmed tortillas spread with butter, or over seared chicken breasts, or over greens as a salad.
Other additions follow for the adventuresome: Diced red or yellow bell pepper; bits of cured or smoked meat you might have lying around; bacon adds a certain something, but grilled chicken is not to be scorned; cucumber, provided you intend to serve this cold; crumbles of cotija cheese; chiffonades of spinach, bitter greens, or basil; diced roasted poblano peppers; several shakes of cayenne pepper. Also great with 1 part sour cream and 2 parts lime juice plopped on top for a tortilla dip.
Thank God for good food!
Download the book
All text and images copyright © 2019 Shoreline United Methodist Church, Shoreline, WA.