| E N T R E E S
| side dishes
| too good to leave out
< savory porridge with takeout rice
P A S T A >
Spinach Bird’s Nest
Contributor’s mother served this because father thought he didn’t like spinach.
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices bread (whole grain or French preferred)
- 5 oz package fresh spinach (Fresh Express Baby Spinach is good.)
- Soft butter
- Place eggs in a small pan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil, turn off heat and cover pan with lid. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes for hard-cooked eggs. Peel and quarter eggs.
- Toast bread and butter lightly.
- Wash spinach in large bowl or in sink. Shake off water and pack into medium pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon soft butter to pan. Cover pan tightly.
- Cook spinach on high heat for 2 minutes, or until wilted. The spinach will cook down to about ¼ its volume. Drain liquid.
- Use a sharp knife and a fork to cut cooked spinach. Usually, 4 horizontal cuts and 4 vertical cuts are best.
- Place half the spinach on each piece of toast. Top with 4 egg quarters and serve.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Download the book
All text and images copyright © 2019 Shoreline United Methodist Church, Shoreline, WA.