| E N T R E E S
| side dishes
| too good to leave out
< pizzaburger sandwiches
spinach birds nest >
Savory Porridge with Takeout Rice
Another recipe from Taiwan via Pullman, WA.
- 1 carton leftover rice (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup frozen corn
- 6 mushrooms, diced (optional)
- Proteins: Ham, grilled chicken strips, tofu (dry, fried, or extra firm). Shred or slice protein as needed.
- Kale, as needed
- 4 Tbs Mirin
- 4 Tbs Dashi soy sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 2 tsp white pepper (optional)
- Prepare and shred kale.
- In small saucepan, add water and stock; bring to a boil.
- Add frozen peas, corn, and mushrooms; bring to a boil.
- Add your choice of protein; bring to a boil.
- Add leftover rice and more water as needed; bring to a boil.
- Add kale, Mirin, and dashi soy sauce; bring to a boil.
- Add green onion and white pepper. Stir 3 seconds.
- Kale can be replaced with shredded green leafy vegetables such as cabbage, Napa cabbage, Bok Choy, or Spinach.
- Dashi soy sauce or Dashi packets or powder can be replaced with just salt or soy sauce.
- Any Kamaboko (Japanese Fish Cake) can be used for protein.
- Fish sauce also can be added here for more exotic flavor.
Download the book
All text and images copyright © 2019 Shoreline United Methodist Church, Shoreline, WA.